WOW- time sure does fly. It was three years ago that Tim's and my lives were changed forever. Micah was four hours old at this time 3 years ago. It was the most wonderful and horrible nite of our life. I was about a week overdue and on March 4, 2003 went into the hospital a little after midnight. I was fully in labor and so excited to be welcoming our little guy (yes we knew ahead of time) into the world. I was hooked up to all the monitors and labor was going well. I labored all throughout the day with not much progress but since I was overdue- they weren't allowing me to just wait it out. They broke my water, and found meconium (ummm- a bowl movement happened inutero- happens a lot with overdue babies) and NICU was brought to the room in case of emergency. At some point they Induced me with pitocin- horrible horrible horrible. The contractions were so strong and intense and still nothing happening. I was hungry, thirsty and worn out. Tim was the best husband- he fed me cups of ice chips to help with my thirst since they weren't allowing me anything in case of sugery. (Hungry Hungry hippos...) Sometime after noon, a new doctor came in and had me continue with pushing- I believe I was fully dialated. Well about 3:45 the idea of a c-section was brought forth. I was crying, worn out and in so much pain I consented (well Tim signed for me since I had no strength). I was taken from Tim- scared to death and wheeled into a cold bright surgical room. Tim was able to come in after I was prepped and was there with me the whole entire time. When Micah was born at 4:47pm, he wasn't right. His cry was muffled and mucuosy. He struggled to breath. NICU had already been on standyby during my labor so after we got a quick glance- they rushed him out to get him on oxygen and clear out his lungs. After I was taken to recovery- Tim wasn't sure what to do. Whether to run to me or go search for Micah. I was pretty out of it (got sick :( and was on a ton of drugs b/c of high blood pressure )so he went and was able to spend some time with Micah and bring me back a polaroid they took of him since I couldn't be with him. After recovery- I did get wheeled down to see the little guy in NICU and they laid him on my bed- wires and everything- just so I could touch and see him. After that I was kept in the high risk area b/c of bllod pressure and was hooked to monitors that went off every half hour for the first 24 hours. I had to pump my milk so that it would come in- but throw it out b/c of all the drugs I was on. The second day I did get to go and see Micah in a wheelchair- they wheeled me down and I went to the giant baby in the corner ;) He was really ours. Thankfully he was able to keep up his stats and later that second evening was released out of NICU to the normal infant nursery. I had been moved to a normal room a few hours before him and my parents were waiting to be able to see and hold him with me. It was hard getting used to nursing, moving with a large incision, dealing with a baby...everything- but Tim and I loved the little guy.
So now- three years later- he has went from 8 lbs 5 ozs and 20 inches to 34 lbs and I forget how tall (bad Mommy!) He talks all the time, knows his ABCs by sight (almost seems to read a bit), sings, counts to 20, knows colors and shapes, is potty trained and so much more. He is extremely bright and well behaved and loves playing with Miss Addie. Although he can be a bit ornery...he brings joy and sunshine to each and every day. His sweet little voice just melts my heart and listening to him sing to Addie is just more than any Mom could hope for- I love his love for people.
We had his little party today- I think he had a good time- he is passed out on the floor right now ;) We had a Pablo (from the Backyardigans) birthday cake. Grandma and Poppa C., Grandma and Grandpa B. and Uncle Matt, Aunt Tegan, Tyler and Aidan were here to celebrate with us. He made out quite well in the gift department- tons of trains things, two Thomas DVDs with trains, lots of cards, Bambi dvd, lots of books, a indoor play tent, an art desk complete with crayons, markers and roll of paper, big boy bike with training wheels complete with helmet, knee and elbow pads (though his helmet is too small- he had a HUGE head aparently!) and then Tim and I got him tickets for Sesame Street Live in April :) He had to go and try out the bike already with Poppa- even though it was FREEZING out! Tim and I have a bit of work ahead of us to get him to push forward instead of backwards- lol!
Wow- this has grown quite long- but I had a lot to say about my big 3 year old. I will close with a few pictures Mr. Micah.
So now- three years later- he has went from 8 lbs 5 ozs and 20 inches to 34 lbs and I forget how tall (bad Mommy!) He talks all the time, knows his ABCs by sight (almost seems to read a bit), sings, counts to 20, knows colors and shapes, is potty trained and so much more. He is extremely bright and well behaved and loves playing with Miss Addie. Although he can be a bit ornery...he brings joy and sunshine to each and every day. His sweet little voice just melts my heart and listening to him sing to Addie is just more than any Mom could hope for- I love his love for people.
We had his little party today- I think he had a good time- he is passed out on the floor right now ;) We had a Pablo (from the Backyardigans) birthday cake. Grandma and Poppa C., Grandma and Grandpa B. and Uncle Matt, Aunt Tegan, Tyler and Aidan were here to celebrate with us. He made out quite well in the gift department- tons of trains things, two Thomas DVDs with trains, lots of cards, Bambi dvd, lots of books, a indoor play tent, an art desk complete with crayons, markers and roll of paper, big boy bike with training wheels complete with helmet, knee and elbow pads (though his helmet is too small- he had a HUGE head aparently!) and then Tim and I got him tickets for Sesame Street Live in April :) He had to go and try out the bike already with Poppa- even though it was FREEZING out! Tim and I have a bit of work ahead of us to get him to push forward instead of backwards- lol!
Wow- this has grown quite long- but I had a lot to say about my big 3 year old. I will close with a few pictures Mr. Micah.

















10:45 PM
I remember Tim calling Iceland at 1am when you had Micah, and Matt was at work. LOL We were so thrilled for you and relieved that everything turned out fine in the end!!! Wow, I knew he changed from each year, but he is definately a boy now!!!! He has definately changed a little bit at a time, and such a smart little boy!! That's why his helmet is to small, he is so smart he has to keep it all in that brain of his!LOL We had a lot of fun at his party today. Thanks for having us! I know Tyler really loved playing with Micah. Hopefully Aiden & Addie will get that way here pretty soon!!
10:05 AM
YEAH! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICAH!!! jen, even though i have heard your 'birth story' before, i forgot how scary it was-you were so brave for a 1st time mom! and just look at the results-he is such a character and geez, his 3yo pics are even showing a bit of his handsome/dashing/making other little girls drool side!! glad to hear you had a great day!
6:14 PM
I can remember when you were three. Boy has time gone by and I am getting old. LOL
6:29 PM
Three?? Three?!?!?! Jenn, how can that be? I can still see that picture that Tim posted on Relevant's Imagestation account of Micah wrapped in a blue towel. I just can't believe he's not a baby anymore. He's a little boy.
Wow, your birth story was a really rough one. You certainly earned your motherhood badge that day!