Yes- another Micahism to share tonite. ;) Bedtime is becoming quite the entertaining time in our household recently.
Both kids got a Bible for Christmas, Micah's is for Daddies and Sons and Addie's is for Mommies and Daughters. They are really cute- they tell certain Biblical stories in a more understanding way for children. Anyways...tonite Tim pulled out Micah's to read a story to him since he kept asking for another story. He turned to the story of Lazarus. When they got to the part about him being laid in the cave (or tunnel as Micah called it), Micah asked who the women were that were standing outside and crying. Tim told him that it was Mary and Martha. He paused a moment and said, "but Martha's over Daddy". Tim tried to explain but it was in vain b/c all he could focus on was the fact that Martha (Stewart if you haven't figured this out yet) was over for the day.
LOL- guess Mommy's little indulgence of the day has made a deeper impact on him than I ever believed. ;)
Last nite I stayed up really late (well actually it was more like- this morning I went to bed really early ;) ) and finished, "Night" by Elie Wiesel. What a book. I cried like a baby. I had to literally stop and sit and weep before I could go on. My heart was wrenched. I sat and stared at both of my children as they softly breathed and dreamed of who knows what. I couldn't get the pictures out of my mind. I could see myself standing there as people were seperated into the two lines. I could hear Micah screaming my name as he was torn from my arms and led to the crematorium. I could almost smell the thick dark smoke that poured out of the chimneys'- the smoke that was fueled by mankind.
I definitely recommend this book. It is an easy to read, hard to digest book. It took me about 5 hours to read. I am glad he shared his experience, because I would never have heard this side of the story. In his words, "...to remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all..." I admit, I know little of the entire experience, but all I do know is that I am forever changed from reading this account.
It was pretty grey and dreary out again today- what a stinky winter this has been. I think it is supposed to snow tomorrow- but it isn't snow like a winter snow should be. Oh well- Christmas has past already and honestly- that is the only time I really "want" snow. Since it was so blah out, we did a lot of inside house chores. The kitchen is sparkling now and the living room is no longer covered in toys. Tonite we worked for about 2 hours on more CYF banners and photos- I think most of the editing is complete. Now to present everything to the Ex. staff and hear what else they want. I think it has all came together nicely- hopefully they will feel the same.
I can't wait for camp this year now that I can be semi-involved again. Tim and I may teach a class- even if not, I plan on being there at least a part of every day. I love that place and really mised out on not being a part this past year.
I think that we have decided to attend Annual Conference this year at Lakeside. Tim has been invited to go the past few years since he is chair of one of the Conference Boards, but things have never worked out. It seems as though this year things are going to work out though- it will be lots of fun since Abbey and Jerry are going to be up there as well now that they are part of the East Ohio UMC. :) Tim of course will have meetings and seminars and all that stuff, but it will be a nice time for us to get away for a week all in the name of work ;) I am sure Micah, Harper and Gabe will have a blast- it will be fun to allow them more time together. The two little ones will probably be walking or close to it by that time- oh how scary is that? :) It will be a fun time for sure!
Both kids got a Bible for Christmas, Micah's is for Daddies and Sons and Addie's is for Mommies and Daughters. They are really cute- they tell certain Biblical stories in a more understanding way for children. Anyways...tonite Tim pulled out Micah's to read a story to him since he kept asking for another story. He turned to the story of Lazarus. When they got to the part about him being laid in the cave (or tunnel as Micah called it), Micah asked who the women were that were standing outside and crying. Tim told him that it was Mary and Martha. He paused a moment and said, "but Martha's over Daddy". Tim tried to explain but it was in vain b/c all he could focus on was the fact that Martha (Stewart if you haven't figured this out yet) was over for the day.
LOL- guess Mommy's little indulgence of the day has made a deeper impact on him than I ever believed. ;)
Last nite I stayed up really late (well actually it was more like- this morning I went to bed really early ;) ) and finished, "Night" by Elie Wiesel. What a book. I cried like a baby. I had to literally stop and sit and weep before I could go on. My heart was wrenched. I sat and stared at both of my children as they softly breathed and dreamed of who knows what. I couldn't get the pictures out of my mind. I could see myself standing there as people were seperated into the two lines. I could hear Micah screaming my name as he was torn from my arms and led to the crematorium. I could almost smell the thick dark smoke that poured out of the chimneys'- the smoke that was fueled by mankind.
In Elie's Words,
"Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed. Never shall I forget that smoke. Never shall I forget the little faces of the children, whose bodies I saw turned into wreaths of smoke beneath a silent blue sky.
Never shall I forget those flames which consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget that nocturnal silence which deprived me, for all eternity, of the desire to live. Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust. Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God Himself. Never."
How did this happen? It seems almost inbelieveable, but yet it is true. It happened in some of our parent's lifetimes. I wonder what it was like for them. What they were told. How did the world react? Were they as blinded at the town the author resided in?"Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed. Never shall I forget that smoke. Never shall I forget the little faces of the children, whose bodies I saw turned into wreaths of smoke beneath a silent blue sky.
Never shall I forget those flames which consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget that nocturnal silence which deprived me, for all eternity, of the desire to live. Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust. Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God Himself. Never."
I definitely recommend this book. It is an easy to read, hard to digest book. It took me about 5 hours to read. I am glad he shared his experience, because I would never have heard this side of the story. In his words, "...to remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all..." I admit, I know little of the entire experience, but all I do know is that I am forever changed from reading this account.
It was pretty grey and dreary out again today- what a stinky winter this has been. I think it is supposed to snow tomorrow- but it isn't snow like a winter snow should be. Oh well- Christmas has past already and honestly- that is the only time I really "want" snow. Since it was so blah out, we did a lot of inside house chores. The kitchen is sparkling now and the living room is no longer covered in toys. Tonite we worked for about 2 hours on more CYF banners and photos- I think most of the editing is complete. Now to present everything to the Ex. staff and hear what else they want. I think it has all came together nicely- hopefully they will feel the same.
I can't wait for camp this year now that I can be semi-involved again. Tim and I may teach a class- even if not, I plan on being there at least a part of every day. I love that place and really mised out on not being a part this past year.
I think that we have decided to attend Annual Conference this year at Lakeside. Tim has been invited to go the past few years since he is chair of one of the Conference Boards, but things have never worked out. It seems as though this year things are going to work out though- it will be lots of fun since Abbey and Jerry are going to be up there as well now that they are part of the East Ohio UMC. :) Tim of course will have meetings and seminars and all that stuff, but it will be a nice time for us to get away for a week all in the name of work ;) I am sure Micah, Harper and Gabe will have a blast- it will be fun to allow them more time together. The two little ones will probably be walking or close to it by that time- oh how scary is that? :) It will be a fun time for sure!
1:34 AM
Now you and Matt both are making me want to read this book. Matt was checking out your blog earlier and said he read it in High school and really liked it. I am always intrested in the holocost. I just can't even begin to imagine what it was like there. Nor do I really want to because it is a terrible and painful thing to think about. How can people have that much evil in them? It just blows my mind because I just don't understand how a person can go so wrong. Thanks for the recommendation, maybe the boys and I will go to the library tomorrow. If we have time. We have a lot of last min. bday stuff we have to do.
3:32 AM
That is a beautifully dark excerpt. I half want to read it and half don't want to, know what I mean?
LOL at Micah getting the Marthas mixed up.
9:45 AM
we studied that book in a memoir class that i electively took at manchester...my professor was from germany and still had a thick accent-she brought me to tears almost every lecture!!! it was a great experience-sounds like you experienced some of the same emotions as me (but of course that was before i had a baby so...)
2:49 PM
how long do you think it would take me to read it?