I was planning on writing about her little birthday celebration that we had last nite, I never dreamed I would be writing about an ER trip, turned ambulance ride, turned long day at Mercy Hospital... but lo and behold, here I am, and that is unfortunately what I have to write about.
Everything started when I went to wake Addie up for the day- somewhere around 9:45 am or so (which isn't odd for her to sleep in this late). She didn't want to wake up- I didn't think too much about it and did a few more things upstairs. We wanted to go to a park and have a picnic so I again went in to wake her up. She opened her eys and then went limp and was asleep. I knew something was wrong- Tim told me to stay calm.
We tried over and over to get her to stay awake- turning on her fav. show, cold water, etc... nothing. I called our Dr. and they said to bypass their office and take her to the ER if she wouldn't respond with cold water.
We went to take Micah to Tim's moms house and on the way, she quit talking when she would open her eyes (she had previously been doing this- one word or so) and went really limp. I panicked and told Tim we needed to call 911. We did that and had them meet us at Tim's moms house...
Her vitals were good- erratic pulse, but blood pressure, pulse ox, and such were good. She never talked in the ambulance- was very limp and never once cried for me or even seemed to notice where she was or anything. They gave her oxygen and she drank a bit more from her juice cup (she seemed as though she could hear us... just very slow to understand/react and she didn't seem to be fully aware of where she was or what was going on)
Once we got to the ER, she had some juice and oxygen and seemed to perk up a bit...was talking a bit again- but still not herself. 3 hours later (yep- you read that right...) a Dr. finally saw her and ordered her labs.
They took blood and did a cat scan (she had possibly bumped her head last nite on a jumping toy) but by that time she was more back to normal and had had 2 cups of juice... (which I think skewed her results after more reading and talking with others)
Anyway... nothing showed up at all. Her brain activity was normal, her iron, potatssium and blood sugars were fine so... they said they can't really determine anything...
We were told it could be a virus, it could have been low blood sugar, it could have possibly been a seizure and she was in a low arousal type state afterwards (seeing and hearing but not able to respond)...
So... we are discharged but still have no answers. She is pale but playing with play dough and did finally get to eat- after oh... about 20 hours since she last ate
I am exhausted (try holding down your baby for an IV and cat scan and blood sample...) and still am scared to death
*Update... she did go to sleep again around 5:30, and was very hard to arouse again. It took both Tim and I to wake her up- and about 10 mins of trying to get her to keep her eyes open fro more than a few seconds. She has been playing with play dough, her stuffed "thing" she got from the ambulance and her backyardigans coloring book from her birthday.
Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. We are calling the Dr. first thing in the morning to folllow up and maybe get more answers
6:21 AM
a baby is brought in by ambulance and the dr takes 3 hours to see her?? wth?? i would be writing a HUGE complaint-along with every family member! that is seriously a problem! i hope she is acting more herself today! :)
2:06 PM
Jen..so sorry to hear about Addie. Hope they can determine what is wrong. I know all about the iv thing...not fun. Let me know if we can help. If you still have ?'s after your ped, I HIGHLY recommend Akron Childrens Hospital...they were GREAT with Taylor and we were seen right away in the ER.