American Dreams

Posted by Jen Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:53 PM
I would guess that many of you have no idea that my title actually refers to a show from the earlyhttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif 2000s that Tim and I loved. American Dreams dealt with a family during the 1960s and all the political and cultural up-heavel that went on during those times.
Anyway... we have the dvd set and sat down to watch some of it since nothing else is on tv. The episode we watched dealt with President Kennedy's death and the reaction of the country. It made me think...
What would it be like if something like that happened today? I mean honestly, would there be such an outpouring? I have this vision that half of the country would be jubilant and most of the rest wouldn't even care. I think a lot of respect has been lost in the last few decades and in turn a lot of our culture and such has been lost as well. Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to live back then- to experience the newness of so many inventions and deal with things such as polio and such... sometimes it seems we have it so easy these days and we take so much for granted.
Kinda makes one sit and think...

1 Response to "American Dreams"

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I use to love watching this and was so upset whenever they dropped it. I haven't even seen reruns of it in a long time...like probably when we were still in Iceland.