I can see clearly now

Posted by Jen Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:24 PM
I finally went to the Eye Dr. yesterday... waayy past when I was due for an appointment. I knew I needed to go and figured my prescription had worsened (it had) but I decided that I was seeing "ok" enough to get by so I never made scheduling a priority. Finally, down to my very last contact (and even having to use the wrong prescription in one eye) I made an appointment.

Procrastinating is seemingly a big part of my life... I hold off on things until the very last minute and then scramble to rectify the situation before everything falls apart. In another, could have been seriously harmful example... we took our van into the dealership last year for a tune-up and they gave us a list of things that would need repaired in the near future. Being that we both work at lower income jobs, we usually don't have much extra money so we stretch things out as long as we possibly can. We drove all summer, went on vacation, youth trips, normal trips all over town, weekend trips, etc... and never followed up with that list more than the few inexpensive things we took care of right away. I guess we went by the "if you don't see that it is broke, don't fix it" mentality. In the last few months we could sort of feel a little grinding on our brakes and then a few weeks ago they started to screech... enough that we decided we should probably follow up on the "to do" list and get the brakes looked at. Little did we know that "little" trip to Midas would mean we would be told we were essentially traveling with little to no brakes and a slew of other issues. If only we had taken care of things last year, we might not have been out an entire paycheck of money and been putting our family at risk every time we went out for a drive.

Unfortunately, procrastination isn't just in the material things in my life but also flows through into my faith walk. I can pray more tomorrow, study the Word next week, give a little more tithe when I have more money... I put off so many things that I can, and should be, taking care of today. I always think that I will have tomorrow and therefore all0w myself to continually walk blind to the things I put off until "I have time."

God has so much more in store for me than I can even imagine and He is just waiting for me to set aside all of that stuff, take out the blurred lenses and allow him to guide my life. Instead, I have allowed myself to continue looking at life through an old prescription when by taking a small step, I could be seeing things in the beautiful light God created them in. How much of life have I allowed to pass by because I was too lazy to get up and do something and instead settled for the status quo?

As I put in my fresh new contacts tomorrow, I pray that it will be a reminder of the vivid picture God has laid out for my life. I pray that seeing clearly for the first time in "who knows how long" will inspire me to no longer put off the important things but instead take that step that enables me to embrace this wonderful thing we call life.

0 Response to "I can see clearly now"